Deb's Digest
Debbie Atkinson’s family life column, as featured in the Southport Visiter.

Tuesday 11 November 2008

RSC ROMEO AND JULIET


We went to the Lowry last night to see the Royal Shakespeare Company's latest production of Romeo and Juliet. It almost goes without saying that it was totally superb. I'm never sure if I'm going to like modernistic productions and this was set in what seemed like the '30s but with the RSC you just forget about the costumes and even the settings because of the brilliance of the acting - and of course Shakespeare's words, which keep you on your toes all the time. The play lasted three-and-a-half hours and it seemed to be over in minutes. The only downside (does there always have to be one?) was that we were two of only a handful of adults in the audience. The whole place was taken over by school parties and teenagers who thought they had to giggle and wolf whistle at every opportunity - and also, eat. It seems to be impossible for some people to last an hour without stuffing their faces, rustling papers and swigging from bottles. I'm sorry if this isn't PC but the fattest boy in the world squeezed himself into the seat next to me and had a bag of wrapped sweets which he dipped into constantly. In the end I gave an audible tut. From then on he put the fully wrapped sweets into his mouth and then spat out the papers. I wished the London son had been in my seat because one of his famous glares would have seen the obese offender off  good and proper.



The London son - not glaring

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the eating and drinking in theatres & cinemas etc. People don't seem to be able to go anywhere or do anything without a drink & something to eat these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see the London son making an appearance, Deb - I've certainly never seen that expression on his face before. I think Oscar's made him go all soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The play was brilliant I agree, but the children drive me to dispair. I was sat near the back directly adjacent a group of highschoolers who couldn't keep thier moves shut for a scene haha.

    ReplyDelete