Deb's Digest
Debbie Atkinson’s family life column, as featured in the Southport Visiter.

Sunday 3 April 2011

MOTHERS' DAY

At the risk of embarrassing them, I reckon I must have the best children ever. The house now resembles a florist's, I have new slippers, smellies and books that are right up my street.






Our daughter was home from Hull and over breakfast I was asking her if she'd watched any of the Red Nose Day programmes. I told her that I'd taped it all and then watched it the next day, fast forwarding through all the appeals. "So you really entered into the spirit of it," she said. I've been laughing about it all day - which probably just makes my crassness worse.

The "boat" built by my mother for Oscar, out of an upside-down stool, is becoming ever more sophisticated. It is now on wheels, has a Union Jack attached and is pulled by two coloured belts. Oscar sets off for "Edinburgh" "Manchester" and "Liverpool" during his weekly visits to her flat and seems to prefer this cobbled-together contraption to the colourful Raleigh bike that sits unused in our garage!

2 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant *boat* and you have an imaginative little grandchild.I think that the simplest things can be turned into exciting games at no cost.
    Love your gleaming house and flowers.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie - yes it's funny isn't it, I can remember playing in dens made from a clothes horse (do they still exist?) and a blanket. Thanks for the "gleaming" house comment - must have been the way the light was falling!
    I love your blog by the way - hope all's well with you.

    ReplyDelete