Deb's Digest
Debbie Atkinson’s family life column, as featured in the Southport Visiter.

Tuesday 7 April 2009

WHY US? DR JAMES LE FANU

whyus_ukcover-196x300



I've just finished reading "Why Us?"  by Dr James  le Fanu and I could hardly believe what I was reading. He's put my thoughts about Darwin's theories into eloquent language - I hadn't dared express what I thought because people like Richard Dawkins keep banging on about anyone who challenges Darwin's theory of evolution being a crackpot. But after reading Darwin's letters about finding various species of birds on a desert island and forming theories based on his one-man research, I have to say I had my doubts (as I believe he did). How could one man sort out the history of mankind? It didn't make sense - to me, anyway.

Now, along comes Dr le Fanu who believes that Darwin's theory is holding us back from proper research. Scientists put everything down to the Theory of Evolution when they could be opening their minds and their research to non-material topics such as how the firings of electrical impulses in the brain lead to feelings of empathy, compassion and the appreciation of music and beauty. Hurray for Dr le Fanu. I'm now going to search out another of his books......

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I too loved "Why Us'', it was an eye opener.
    Dr Le Fanu has that great quality - an open mind.
    Never trust those people who think that they have all the answers.

    ReplyDelete