Deb's Digest
Debbie Atkinson’s family life column, as featured in the Southport Visiter.

Sunday 24 August 2008

REM @ MANCHESTER



We saw REM at the Old Trafford cricket ground yesterday. That's the fourth time I've seen them live and it was the best. They bashed out one fantastic hit after another for over two hours.  Because I'm in the fan club (naturally) we had early-entry wrist bands so managed - we thought- to secure a prime position on the front row of the cricket-style seating. This was fine for the first six hours but by the time night was falling I'd lost count of the number of drunks who'd tried to climb or sit on the small metal rail in front of us, and overbalanced. Then one woman did her party piece and bent over the rail to vomit - nice.



My husband was there under sufferance and because he loathes getting stuck in traffic jams, suggested that we leave before the final song (we usually leave a racecourse before the final race) and he reasoned that I could listen to the finale in the car. I explained that if I wanted to do that I could just put a CD on.

Editors (I want to put a 'the' in front of their name but that would no-doubt age me) were on too - I thought they were very good and will now listen to more to see if it was just the live performance that I liked or if it was really their music.



#remmanchester

No comments:

Post a Comment